Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Breaking Out of The 9 to 5

Years ago, when I was plugging away in college- training to be a chef with pastry, meat cutting and mixology classes- I never thought I'd be where I am today.
Part of the reason I wanted to get into kitchens so badly was because I had a hard time sitting still! I would fidget, get up, stretch, walk around... always thinking about the next thing to do.

Yet, here I am, years later and I spend my days at a corner desk from 9am to 5pm every single day. Lunch is at noon. Midday stretch is at 3. And every day for the past four years, I think how unnatural it is. We're given strong legs and feet to carry us around the world, a sharp mind to think both analytically and creatively, arms to reach for the impossible... and they aren't used here. In this chair.

A big part of the reason Great Lakes Adventure Travel is happening is because of this kind of passion. The kind that makes you feel like an ADD kid who can only think about skiing the minute that first snow falls. Or spending a week in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a backpack and a camera. THIS is what I'm meant to do. THIS is the reason we're creating this business.
Because I know I'm not alone. I don't know how the "business world" came to be this way, this 9 to 5 thing that it is. But I'd like to change that.

Business meetings are no longer sit-on-your-ass-and-sip-coffee-for-four-hours. They are out there- in the actual "real world". We'd like to create a culture where colleagues can discuss new business strategies over some kayaking in our beautiful lakes or with hot chocolate after a long day on the slopes. Like real people.

There's a lot I could say about what needs to happen or how the world needs to change. But instead, I'll choose to change it.

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...